Wednesday, November 22, 2006
“Behold, the SF Book Club’s list of The 50 Most Significant SF & Fantasy Books, 1953-2002. And no list like that can go without someone somewhere turning it into a meme. Shocking, this internet.
So, the rules: Bold the ones you have read, strike through the ones you read and hated, italicize those you started but never finished and put a star next to the ones you love.”
Follow me below the cut . . .
Let’s make this at least marginally interesting. Any books here I haven’t read which you consider an absolute MUST?
- The Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien
- The Foundation Trilogy, Isaac Asimov
- Dune, Frank Herbert
- Stranger in a Strange Land, Robert A. Heinlein
- A Wizard of Earthsea, Ursula K. Le Guin
- Neuromancer, William Gibson
- Childhood’s End, Arthur C. Clarke
- Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Philip K. Dick
- The Mists of Avalon, Marion Zimmer Bradley
- Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury
- The Book of the New Sun, Gene Wolfe
- A Canticle for Leibowitz, Walter M. Miller, Jr.
- The Caves of Steel, Isaac Asimov
- Children of the Atom, Wilmar Shiras
- Cities in Flight, James Blish
- *The Colour of Magic, Terry Pratchett
- Dangerous Visions, edited by Harlan Ellison
- Deathbird Stories, Harlan Ellison
- The Demolished Man, Alfred Bester
- Dhalgren, Samuel R. Delany — I read and loved Nova; does that count?
- *Dragonflight, Anne McCaffrey
Enders' Game, Orson Scott Card
- The First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, Stephen R. Donaldson
- The Forever War, Joe Haldeman
- Gateway, Frederik Pohl
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone,J.K. Rowling
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams
- I Am Legend, Richard Matheson
- Interview with the Vampire, Anne Rice
- The Left Hand of Darkness, Ursula K. Le Guin
- Little, Big, John Crowley
- Lord of Light, Roger Zelazny
- The Man in the
, Philip K. Dick High Castle of Gravity, Hal Clement Mission
- More Than Human, Theodore Sturgeon
- The Rediscovery of Man, Cordwainer Smith
- On the Beach, Nevil Shute
- Rendezvous with Rama, Arthur C. Clarke
- Ringworld, Larry Niven
- Rogue Moon, Algis Budrys
- The Silmarillion, J.R.R. Tolkien
- Slaughterhouse-5, Kurt Vonnegut
- Snow Crash, Neal Stephenson — Listen to Reason.
- Stand on
, John Brunner Zanzibar
- The Stars My Destination, Alfred Bester
- Starship Troopers, Robert A. Heinlein
- Stormbringer, Michael Moorcock
- The Sword of Shannara, Terry Brooks
- Timescape, Gregory Benford
- To Your Scattered Bodies Go, Philip Jose Farmer
Tuesday, November 21, 2006
While cleaning the kitchen I set the oven to self clean. This worked and my kitchen smelled bad for a while. The cleaning cycle finishes and the oven should unlock. It doesn't. I end up Sunday taking the back off the over and taking things apart to get the oven door to open. I currently have the door switch covered with a piece of duck tape. The oven works but I think that I will start to look for a new one.
Thursday, November 09, 2006
Are you allergic to any fibers? No
What are your favorite colors? Purple, green, blue, jewel tones
Are you a new mitt knitter? Yes, I have only made one pair of fingerless gloves.
Do you prefer solid or multicolored yarn? Multicolored
What fibers do you prefer in mitten yarn? Superwash Wool
Where do you usually knit mittens? One the couch or in the DrÂs office
How do you usually carry/store small projects? In a small bag I made.
What are your favorite mitten patterns? Right now I have only made one so I do not know.
What are your favorite mitten knitting techniques? Magic loop, finger down.
What new techniques would you like to try? Cable
What are your favorite needles for knitting mittens? Knitpick Circulars
What are some of your favorite yarns? Blue Moon yarn, Socks that Rock, Black Bunny Fiber, Lorna's Lace
What yarn do you totally covet? None right now
Any pattern you would love to make if money and time were no object? Convertible gloves
Favorite kind of needles (brand, materials, straights or circs, etc)? Knitpicks
If you were a specific kind of yarn, which brand and kind of yarn would you be? I have no idea.
Do you have a favorite candy or mail-able snack? Good dark Chocolate, and cookies
WhatÂs your favorite animal? cat
Would you prefer super warm mittens or something more like fingerless mitts? Warm, it gets cold here.
If you were a color what color would you be? green
What is your most inspiring image, flower, or object in nature? The beach or Pikes Peak mountain
Do you have a wish list? Not right now.
Wednesday, November 08, 2006
Monday, November 06, 2006
Wednesday, November 01, 2006
Fingerless gloves for my sister, one pair of socks for my niece, finished one of knee high socks for me, and a felted bag.
November Knitting Goals
1. Finish other knee high sock for me
2. Hat to charity
3. modus scarf
4. A scarf for Sheri
November House goals
1. Clean up trees in the backyard
2. Do touch up paint on house
3. Clean house
4. Organize garage