Thursday, August 28, 2008

Diabetes, I has it.

Well this was not fun, I have known that I was pre-diabetic for 5 years or so. I have been taking metformin and having a fasting lab test every 3 months or so for the past few years. This morning I had a Dr's appointment and my ac1 level (glycated hemoglobin test, this shows the average blood sugar over the past 3 months) was over 6; this was not good. This was the highest it has ever been. The problem is that I am on meds and this should be lower.

So I am on a different med, need to excise more, have to check my blood sugar at least 3 times a day and need to change what I eat. Foods high in carbs are not a good idea. Only in very small amounts will they be allowed. Well Tuesday's with Dorie is out, so in Daring Bakers. I need to get this under control. I do not want to have to take insulin. It does not help that there is diabetes on both sides of my family.

12 comments:

slush said...

Oh boy Michelle, I am so very sorry. I hope your plan gets things under control. My thoughts are with you! xoxoxo

Bungalow Barbara said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. We'll miss you, but of course you have to take care of your health first. Very best wishes. And please let us know about good diabetes-friendly recipes, too!

Robyn said...

Oh, no. Your health is definitely more important than some cooking groups.

Shelby said...

Oh Michelle I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope that things get better for you.

I agree with Barbara - let us know about good diabetes friendly recipes!

Carrie said...

There is diabetes on both sides of my family too and it's definitely a concern.
Take care of yourself and good luck!

Shari said...

Take care of yourself. You may find that a blog focussed on food and diabetes would be helpful and interesting! We'll be checking in with you!

April said...

Hi Michelle, so sorry to hear this! I too have diabetes, and take Metformin, amaryl, enalapril, and now simcor. It truly is a life changing disease! I have been diagnosed for about 4 years now. Email me if you want to chat about it, or have any questions, aprilsattic@comcast.net

giz said...

That really sux Michelle. Having said that I was married to a man who had Type 1 diabetes with an ac1 level at 11. It was a learning curve but I learned to adapt my recipes so he could eat. Sounds like you have type 2 (not on injections) and honestly, you can live a very normal life - learning is the key. It'll just make you pay closer attention to how you prepare foods and the portions you have. You can still participate in Daring Bakers and Tuesdays with Dorie - just do them as alternate bakers.

TeaLady said...

You take care of yourself. We will trudge along without you and miss your baking. Maybe you can do one once in a while just for jun and let others eat it. Good luck with it.

Jaime said...

i'm sorry to hear this. maybe you can learn to adapt the recipes...splenda works in a lot of things, i have a friend who does it w/all her recipes :) good luck and best wishes...of course your health is what is most important!

Madam Chow said...

Michelle, I'm so sorry to hear this and really wish you the best. You're doing the right thing getting this under control.
Madam Chow
http://www.mzkitchen.com

jenniferhoiyin said...

My father was diagnosed with early onset just this year. Prayers thoughts and lots of supportive hoops and hollers of "You go girl! You can do it!" are comin' your way! :)