Sunday, December 23, 2007

Daring Bakers December

The Daring Bakers recipe for December was a Yule Log.
I did this early in the month. I had never made a yule log before, I had never made buttercream, genoise cake or Meringue mushrooms so this month was an adventure.

I started with the mushrooms, they looked to be the easyst to put
aside and come back to later. They came out pretty good. The meringue was fragile though, 3-5 mushrooms died when the stem was attached.

I put them aside in
a plastic bag for a few days, I needed at least one whole day to make the cake.






Well the
genoise cake was interesting, I am not sure if it came out right. It tasted ok and rolled so I went with it.

I however had troubles with the buttercream. It kept breaking and curdling. I finally got it so that it did not look that bad. I think that part of my problem was that room temp was not warm enough for my butter. I keep my house cold in the winter. I got the rolled cake fine but decorating it was a puzzle to me. I have not seen many yule logs before. So I just put mushrooms everywhere. I then wrapped the whole thing up and took it to work. It was way to sweet for me. They ate it.




7 comments:

Gigi said...

You did a great job! Everything came really nice.

Helene said...

Glad everything turned out ok in the end! You did a great job putting it all together!
Happy holidays to you and your family!

Lunch Buckets said...

It was all new for me too so I feel your pain!

Unknown said...

Great job...your roll looks wonderful! Merry Christmas!

Deborah said...

The end product looks great! I thought it was sweet as well, but delicious!

Dolores said...

I love the new techniques I'm exposed to with each Daring Baker challenge. Looks to me like you put it all together just fine.

I hope you found joy and peace in your holiday celebrations, and that 2008 brings you health and happiness, laughter and love.

Jen Yu said...

I think you did a terrific job on your DB challenge. Way to go! Happy new year and see you in 08!!

jen at use real butter