Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Tuesdays with Dorie, Double Crusted Blueberry Pie

This week on Tuesdays with Dorie Amy of South in Your Mouth selected Double Crusted Blueberry Pie. This was an interesting recipe because I was debating on whether or not to make this. Blueberries are expensive here and I do not care for blueberry pie. What made me try it was the pie crust, I have not made many and this one was different from the ones I have made in the past. The crust came out flaky and buttery. I liked it. I did have some trouble rolling out the crust. I think that I may have added just a little to much water, it kept sticking to everything. That and it was warm.

I made three small hand pies. for the filling I used rhubarb, I have lots right now, some frozen blueberries and a little bit of sugar. Instead of bread crumbs I used some gram crackers. It soaked up the juice nicely.

For more pies check out Tuesdays with Dorie, some people went and did the coolest things with pie.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a neat idea, hand pies. Sounds good with rhubarb.

Dolores said...

Loving the hand pies. Like the hostess treats of my youth, but oh so much healthier.

Pamela said...

I thought the crust was really, really good, too. Cute hand pies!

Engineer Baker said...

Funny - I always called them turnovers growing up, but it seems like most people call them hand pies. Either way, they look tasty.

Susan @ SGCC said...

I love the way you made your pies! They look really pretty. Graham crackers was a great idea too.

Bumblebutton said...

Rhubarb and blueberries sound like an interesting combo I never would have come up with! Looks terrific!

Shari said...

That looks so cute! Great substitutions!
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

PheMom said...

I've been hoping I wasn't the only one to go the hand-pie / turnover route! Great job!

Mari said...

Your hand pies look delish!

The Queen of Quite a Lot said...

Those look like little blueberry calzones! I love it!

Bungalow Barbara said...

Love your turnovers! Yes, this crust really needs to be well chilled...glad they turned out well after giving you trouble.