Monday, January 07, 2008

Best Drop Biscuits


The first biscuits that I remember I had at my grandparents when I was 4 or 5. My granddad made them. They were drop biscuits. Ever since then I have like that kind a lot more than the other kind. That and drop biscuits are easier to make.

I made Best Drop Biscuits from Culinary in the Country.

I did make some changes. I used soy yogurt instead of the buttermilk, margarine instead of butter, used 1 tablespoon of sugar instead of 1 teaspoon. I am lactose intolerance so I needed to work around it. This came out very good and very buttery. They are not going to last for long. 3 have already have been eaten.


Best Drop Biscuits (Adapted from Cook's Illustrated)

For the biscuits
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon table salt
1 cup cold buttermilk
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly

To brush the biscuits
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

To make the biscuits

Preheat oven to 475

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.

In a medium bowl, add cold buttermilk and melted butter - mix together until butter forms small clumps. Pour mixture into the dry and stir just until combined.

Scoop out the mixture using a large cookie scoop (about 1/4 cup worth) and drop onto parchment-lined baking sheet, spacing biscuits about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake until tops are golden brown and crisp, about 12 to 14 minutes.

To finish the biscuits

When they come out of the oven, brush the tops with the 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Move the biscuits to a wire rack and cool about 5 minutes before serving. Transfer to wire rack and let cool 5 minutes before serving.

Makes 12 biscuits

No comments: